Tuesday, May 11, 2010

In Memory of Taz

My beautiful white cat with blue eyes has passed away.

 
~Rest in peace~

TAZ
Oct. 27, 1998 - May 7, 2010






















Forever remembered and loved by:

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Workshop Lumber Rack



Planks on the Floor,
Planks on the Floor,
Lookin’ Like a Fool
with your
Planks on the Floor…
Sorry, just had to do that…
My small collection of pine was sitting on the floor, waiting for somewhere nice to go:



This wall was the decided place, it allows me to enter the open garage door on the garage side of the workshop with a load of wood and then bring it through the middle door that divides the garage from the workshop:


 

I decided to use 2×4 uprights screwed to the wall, so I pre-drilled the holes for the lag screws:


I coated the uprights with two coats of shellac and then the first one went up with 4” lag screws and washers, on a 2×6 wall stud, from the floor to the ceiling:

The rest went 32” apart from the first. A few shorter uprights were put at the bottom in between the others, for shorter wood pieces:


I was using 1/2” plywood for the brackets, that were attached to the sides of 2×4s. I decided on 12 1/2” long 2×4s and the plywood would be about 14” because it goes right to the wall so that the sides of the brackets are screwed to the uprights. (This will be clearer in photos coming up) So I needed squares of plywood about 14 1/4” that I would cut at an angle that would give me two brackets from each square. This quick “jig” was made on my sliding cutoff sled:
The two pieces I get from the square of plywood will then attach to each side of the 2×4:

Pile of 26 – 2×4s cut and waiting:
Pile of 52 – plywood pieces:
Here’s one bracket and you can see where the 2×4 fits into the back:
Brackets waiting to go on the wall were all coated with two coats of shellac before being attached to the uprights:

I didn’t want any of the brackets to be up too high, since I wouldn’t be able to reach wood up there anyway, so I just figured out heights that looked good to me. The first one at the top was put on and then the remaining ones were leveled to be the same height:
All the brackets were screwed from the sides into the uprights:
And then the wood from the floor was placed on the rack:
It really makes quite a difference to get that wood off the floor.