Happy Canada Day

I made a few things to celebrate Canada Day.  I love my country and our flag is beautiful in it's simplicity.

This is a flag I made over a year ago:


The Canadian flag is basically a design that is symmetrical and divided in halves and quarters.  By that I mean the height is twice the length and the two end 1/4's are red with the middle half white.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Since I use a lot of pallet wood, I thought I would make a flag out of four pieces of pallet wood glued together side by side.  My wood is about 3 5/8" wide, so I cut the four pieces each to two times that (7 1/4") for the height. So the length ends up being about 14 1/2" in my case (4 x 3 5/8" and also 2 x 7 1/4").
Of course, this works for any size flag you want to make, just think of the 1/2's and 1/4's.

The leaf part I downloaded from a clip-art site and blew up to get the correct size for my flag.

I first painted the whole thing white and then sanded it and painted the red parts:



I also have painted a flag on some scrap beadboard:


And, I made some Canadian buntings after seeing the Union Jack buntings draped everywhere in photos of the celebrations for the 60th Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation.

They are cut out the same as my WELCOME buntings you can see here and painted similarly to my pallet flag.




This is my daughter, Laura, being my model, she helped string the pieces together:
Happy Canada Day (July 1st)


Sharing at the following blogs:
Funky Junk Interiors
aka design
Coastal Charm
My Repurposed Life
Common Ground

Labels: , , ,