I made a Union Jack sign about a year ago and posted it here
It's still for sale, but I made another one anyway.
This flag sign is made with pallet wood glued together vertically. I have very solid, almost 1" thick wood from pallets. I used seven pieces that are just over 3 1/2" wide and total 25", I cut them each 12 1/2" long.
There is something fascinating about the way the Union Jack is designed. Maybe it's my mathematical mind that likes it, but I think it's great.
I found this online and it shows how to correctly paint the flag with the proper proportions:
Note that the side angled parts are six sections with the middle line running through the corners. Then the stripes are painted with three, or half of the sections white and two red and another white section. It's important that the larger white section is always on the bottom, or last, going clockwise. (1 white, 2 red, 3 whites always in that order as you go around the flag starting at the northeast quadrant)
Also note that the width of that middle diagonal stripe (all 6 parts) is the same as the width of the large red cross.
As I said, I find it fascinating...
After painting I sanded off the paint, to make it look distressed, using my Random Orbital Sander (ROS) and then I wiped over the whole thing with a brown stain. It took me over 2 1/2 hours just to paint the flag!
Here's a closeup:
This new Union Jack sign is for sale for $50.
The first Union Jack I painted was made with some pine tongue and groove wood I had and for that one I ran the wood horizontally:
I'm also working on a Canadian flag, I'll post that soon.
Sharing at the following great blogs:
My Repurposed Life
too much time on my hands
Labels: flag, pallet wood, signs