Moon Photography Prop


I was asked by a local photography studio if I could make props for baby photos.  Apparently this is quite popular, to pose babies with different props.  I did some searches and was given some websites to look at for inspiration.

The moon prop was made from 1/2" thick MDF with twelve 7" long pine slats.

This is how I cut each moon.  I cut a larger circle using my router and then another smaller one.


Because I didn't want any screws or nails to show on the outside of the moon, I decided to glue another piece of curved MDF cut the same diameter as the smaller moon, and glue that on the inside.  This would leave a ledge for the slats to sit on.




I cut out two identical moons and inner pieces, then I made a small 7" wide shelf that would fit between the moons at the bottom.  This shelf sat on top of two triangular shaped feet.  The feet were necessary to stop the moon from rocking and tipping.  The shelf kept the distance of the moons parallel to the top where the slats would be.


The slats were coated with shellac and fit in the curve, pin nailed to the curved inner pieces.  I put  a coat of primer on the moon pieces before adding the slats.


The customer painted the moon white and will use it for baby photographs. The first photo in this post is one she shared with me, isn't it cute!

Thanks to Tanya for asking me to attempt this moon prop.  I had to figure out the best way to make it and it was quite the challenge!


Sharing at the following blog parties:
Too Much Time on My Hands
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm
The Scoop
Elizabeth & Co.
My Repurposed Life
French Country Cottage