Monday, April 28, 2014

Outhouse Signs

I often get orders from appearing at local Craft Sales or Farmers' Markets.  People see my work and like it, but want their own wording, colours and fonts.  That is okay with me (except I'd like to reduce some of my stock!).

This order came from someone who needed two signs on the outhouses at the local Cross Country Ski Club. These are made from pallet wood and distressed to look old.




The font is large and clear, black on white, to show up from a distance.  I went to find them the other day and here they are on the cute little red outhouses!










I enjoy making the signs, but even more to be able to see the results.


Monday, April 21, 2014

Question

Q: What is better than a Chihuahua?

A: TWO Chihuahuas!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Adding a Beam - Part 2


Last time I wrote about making a beam for the ceiling which you can read here and left it at this point:



My beam is made like this, with the bottom piece having tongues on each edge which sit in grooves in the side pieces. So the next thing I did was put grooves in all the side pieces and made rabbets on the bottom pieces, which left the tongues to go into the grooves.


The next job was to stain all the pieces:






I glued just one side piece to the bottom piece, this would allow me (actually my husband) to wire up the lights easier than trying to do it with a completed beam.

Here you can see that the beam is just an L shape for now with the front (side piece) off.  I screwed the back side piece into the 2 x 2s. This way the wiring is inside and cut to the proper lengths for each of the four pot lights.
























The pot lights were then wired in place and could be checked to see that they worked properly before sealing up the beam:




















The front side piece was then screwed in to the 2 x 2s at the top (after this photo was taken I painted the screws a brown that left them pretty much invisible):

























and also glued and clamped along the bottom:




















Here's the finished dovetail, which I actually put more dark stain around so that the shape of the dovetail would show up better:
















































Before:


                                           After:













This turned out just as I pictured it in my head before I started, so I am pleased with it.  The pot lights are also on a dimmer switch and they give a nice ambience to the room.

Hopefully this tutorial can help someone else out who is wanting to do something similar.


Sharing at:
Common Ground
DIY Vintage Chic
Funky Junk Interiors
Knick of Time

I was featured at:

DIY Vintage Chic


Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Adding a Beam to the Ceiling

Our basement needed new paint and flooring and a few minor renovations.  In our large "living room" or "rec room" I wanted to put up a beam with lights in it.  Here is what I was dealing with:

Ceiling right side

Ceiling left side

 My original plan was to put a wood beam up against the bulkhead (lower) portion that contains some ducting.  Because of the two vents in the ceiling, I realized that would be impossible without a lot of tearing out, so I decided to put the beam below the bulkhead instead.

The total length, just under 16', was far too long to put one piece of wood, so there had to be joints in the beam.  Instead of just straight joints I realized I could highlight the joint and make it look like a dovetail, so I made two joints along the length of the beam like this.


The beam would be hollow and allow four pot lights to be put inside.  I decided to make it like this, with plywood sides and bottom, and 2x2's to screw the box sides to.

I used basic plywood which I cut into strips.  I drew out a dovetail on the end of my side pieces and cut with a jigsaw.





I then laid the cut piece over another to cut the piece that the dovetail would fit into.



This is how they would look joined together:


I measured out to find where the holes needed to be for the pot lights and cut those out of my bottom pieces:



I screwed the 2x2 pieces to the ceiling after finding wood studs behind.  My husband set up the electrical wiring so that it came out where the end of the beam would be. You can see those wires hanging down at the bottom of this photo. This runs from two switch boxes, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the opposite far end of the beam.



















I'll post the finished results next time, stay tuned! Here's the link


Sharing at:
My Repurposed Life