I can't believe it took me almost two weeks to finish the drywalling. I like working alone but it certainly would go a lot faster if I had a crew here working with me.
I am going to have my dust collection hooked up in the small washroom area. It is a very loud machine and I have read that it's a good idea to soundproof the room. So after researching, here's what I did:
TOOK OFF THE OLD DRYWALL:
ADDED SOUNDPROOFING INSULATION:
INSTALLED RESILIENT CHANNEL:
ADDED FIRST ONE LAYER OF 1/2" DRYWALL, COVERED WITH ANOTHER LAYER OF 5/8" DRYWALL: (when installing over the resilient channel, the drywall is screwed into the channel and NOT into the studs)
5/8" drywall is supposed to be better at deadening any sounds. Each 4' x 8' sheet weighs about 70 lbs. I found it almost impossible to work with. Remember, I'm working alone... husband carried them in, but after that I was on my own. Normally, one would put a sheet horizontally, with another resting horizontally on top. There was no way I could lift a sheet (even though this one would be 6' long) up 4' high to sit on the long edge of the bottom piece. So, I cut one piece horizontally, as you can see in the above photo, so that I "only" had to lift the middle piece up 2'. The top horizontal piece was 24" wide and I got my daughter to help lift it up there... we really struggled with it.
On the wall around the corner to the right of this one, I covered the 1/2" drywall that was already there, with 5/8" drywall. I did not use the sound proof insulation, nor the resilient channel.
I forgot to take a photo of that, but it's done.
With the small amount of remaining insulation left, I filled in the new angled wall that I made by the stairs, and used standard 1/2" drywall to finish that off.
I also patched a corner where I took out a wall. I'll show that in the next post, when I get to mudding.
Labels: drywall, new workshop, walls