If you recall, I was remaking two arms for an old wooden chair that a customer, Jean, brought to me. I wrote about it here in August. This chair was made in Maine but moved to Prince Edward Island with Jean who bought an old schoolhouse here. She uses it on the sun porch in her summer home about a 20 minute drive from my shop.
I needed to drill holes for screws to go into the top of the arms, as well as countersink to allow for plugs to hide those screws.
After making the arms from maple, Jean and I decided she would do away with the springs and metal strips in the seat area and have me make wood slats to replace them.
I primed the chair frame and new slats (not shown) before attaching it all together. I find that makes it easier to get into spaces and around all the edges.
Then the arms and slats were attached and I painted the chair three coats of a lovely green that Jean chose herself.
Jean was just delighted to see her chair and she has purchased some fabric and will have some thick cushions made locally, most likely over the winter. She has even promised to give me a "private showing" of her chair when it is all finished.
funky junk interiors
Labels: chair, furniture, paint