Barnboard Whale

As you probably know, I live on an island and I like to include island-themed pieces in my shop. I've made lobsters, mermaids and fish. A few weeks ago I cut a whale shape out of an old piece of barn board, it's 24" long.

cut out whale 

It sat in my shop for awhile and I felt it needed something extra.

So I found an old bed spindle in my pile of wood parts, and a piece of driftwood from a local beach. I ran the driftwood over my jointer until I got a good stable base. Then I drilled one hole in the bottom of the whale and another in the top of the driftwood base. I glued in the spindle after cutting it to length.

Tada... a whale on a stick!

 

or should I call it a rustic whale weathervane?

I found this online, it sold for $1250.00

 

I wonder if I could charge that for mine?
 

 
Sharing at:
funky junk interiors
too much time on my hands
Talk of the Town
diy by design
Coastal Charm