Happy Birthday Jay Turvey


Today, Aug. 30th, is my high school friend Jay Turvey's birthday.
Happy Birthday Jay!

Julie and Jay

I usually write about my woodworking and take the occasional chance to talk about something else.  Well today is one of those days when I just felt I must talk about my trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, where I saw my friend on stage in the musical "Ragtime."

Jay has been an actor since high school and has appeared on stage in Toronto productions of many big musicals including Cats, The Lion King, and Les Miserables.  He acts, sings, directs and even writes musicals!

My husband, daughter, mother, brother and sister-in-law took a trip at the end of June to see two plays at the Shaw Festival in pretty Niagara-on-the Lake, just down the river from Niagara Falls. 

We stayed one night at the lovely Prince of Wales hotel.


There are always horses lined up outside waiting to take you on a tour through this beautiful small town.


Jay Turvey stars as Tateh in "Ragtime" (based on the novel by E. L. Doctorow), and does such a fabulous job!  One review I read said that he "was born to play the role."  We enjoyed it so much!

Eden Kennedy and Jay Turvey in Ragtime (photo credit: David Cooper)

The other play we saw was "Trouble in Tahiti," written by Leonard Bernstein and directed by Jay.  It was wonderful as well and Jay also had a small part.


 from Trouble in Tahiti, photo by David Cooper


We had such a good time, seeing Jay before and after both musicals. Having a chance to discuss the plays, as well as acting and directing, added so much to the performances.

I must say I was teary-eyed watching my friend sing, dance and act on a big stage... I felt so proud of him for all he has accomplished over the years.

We are going back again next year for sure, can't wait!