Making Interior Pine Doors - Part 6: the large door

This is Part 6 of a series that starts here

Gluing the large door stumped me for a while, as I tried to figure out the order of gluing the parts together.


Because there is a center stile (vertical piece) and that piece has tenons on each end, I have to glue that center stile into the top and bottom before I put the two outer side stiles on.

After much thought, this is the order I glued the pieces together.

First I glued the two right-side rails to the center stile as seen here in red:


Then I glued the two left-side rails to the center stile as seen in blue:

This was really getting unwieldy and my clamps were not long enough, but I hooked a few together to get the parts glued.

The next step was to glue the top and bottom rails on, seen here in green:

Now, I could slide in the panel pieces to one side as I did with the three smaller doors:


And then glue on one side stile as seen in orange:

After this, I glue the other side in the same way. I don't have any photos of this door in glue-up mode, most likely because it was a big struggle and I was frustrated.  But anyway, it worked out well.

Phew!!


Next I will hinge and hang the doors!



Labels: ,