The final creation to come out of my shop before I move

I started a special piece before our house sold.  I had wanted to do something that would be representative of where we were moving to. Prince Edward Island has at least 50 lighthouses, so I thought I would paint one on pallet wood.

I used a photo that I took when we went there last year, and also looked online for more photos of West Point Lighthouse.  The black and white stripes are what make it stand out and recognizable.

Being the precise, mathematical fool that I am, I measured the photos I had and figured out the ratio between the width of the black stripes compared to the white stripes.  I cut my pallet wood with that ratio, so the white striped pieces are wider than the black ones (except at the bottom).


I used a dry brush technique after drawing out the design on the wood.


I also used pallet wood for the frame. This piece is 13 1/2" wide x 27 1/2" tall.



Here's a photo I took in 2013, of my daughter Laura, husband Eric and dog Cisco at the West Point lighthouse:




Although we were not initially looking in the area, it turned out that we bought a house in a town only 20 min. drive from the West Point lighthouse!  Coincidence?


Linking up at the following parties:
My Repurposed Life
too much time on my hands
Funky Junk Interiors

Labels: , , ,